Gunns, Henry (1811-1896)
Henry was born on 12 November 1811 at Stowbridge, Norfolk. He was the youngest of 10 children. His father died when Henry was 7.
In 1825 Stowbridge had its first visit from Primitive Methodist missionaries and Henry was the first fruit of their labours. Henry entered into business, married and was for many years a local preacher. On the death of his first wife, Henry accepted a call to ministry.
His obituary records that on all his stations, Henry achieved much success and had the unspeakable joy of leadings hundreds to Christ.
No information has been identified about Henry’s first wife.
Henry married Maria Harpley (1818-1887) in 1850 at Wisbech. Census returns identify five children.
- Priscilla (1851-1926) – married Richard Edward Howchin, a schoolmaster (son of Rev Richard Howchin); they emigrated to Canada
- Elizabeth (b1852) – married Frederick Groom Redman, a shoe and leather merchant
- Aquila (1853-1941) – a printer compositor
- Amelia (1856-1943) – a dressmaker
- Katrina (b1858) – a music teacher and later dressmaker (birth registered as Katherine)
Henry died on 19 February 1896.
- 1845 Upwell
- 1846 Littleport
- 1847 Fakenham
- 1849 Cambridge
- 1851 E Dereham
- 1853 Wangford
- 1855 Fakenham
- 1859 Norwich
- 1862 Downham
- 1865 Lynn
- 1868 Cambridge
- 1871 Lynn
- 1874 Norwich
- 1878 Norwich (Sup)
Primitive Methodist Magazine 1873 (portrait)
PM Minutes 1896/11
W Leary,Directory of Primitive Methodist Ministers and their Circuits , 1990
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers