John was born in 1868 at Worleston, nr Nantwich, Cheshire, to parents Henry, a gardener (1871) and Martha. He was baptised on 14 March 1869 at Action, nr Nantwich, Cheshire.
The 1891 census return identified John as a PM evangelist visiting Blackwood, Bedwelty, Monmouthshire. In 1901 he is working as an insurance agent at Ramsgate, Kent.
He married Sophia Spain (abt1872-1942) in late 1898 at Ramsgate, Kent. Census returns and birth records identify three children.
- Mavis (1899-1899)
- Arthur (1906-1991) – a minister of religion (1939); a schoolmaster (1948)
- Bernard (1906-1993) – a medical practitioner (1948)
John died on 28 December 1948 at Gordon Hospital, Westminster, London.
- 1892 Braintree
- 1895 disappears
- 1902 Canterbury – Congregational minister – evangelist
- 1904 Watton
- 1909 John Robinson Memorial Church, Gainsborough
- 1918 Wycliffe, Sheffield
- 1920 Bourne
- 1926 Abbeydale, Sheffield
- 1931 Maldon, Essex
- 1940 Sutton Valence, Kent
W Leary, Directory of Primitive Methodist Ministers and their Circuits, 1990
Surman index id: 13421
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers