James was born in 1842 at Great Driffield, Yorkshire, to parents Richard, a gardener, and Harriet.
James also worked as a gardener before entering the ministry.
He married Anna Levitt (1850-1882) in the spring of 1869 in the Pocklington Registration District, Yorkshire. Census returns identify seven children.
- Julia Edith (1870-1900) – a confectioner’s assistant (1891); married David William Brow in 1898
- Laurence James (1872-1944) – a dining room manager (1911)
- Cecelia Etty (b1874) – emigrated to USA in 1904; a Travelling evangelist (1910)
- Emeline Mona (1877-1919) – married Hugh Owen Roberts, a blacksmith’s striker, in 1901
- Mabel Eunice (b1878) – a domestic servant (1901); possibly emigrated to USA in 1903
- Alfred Leigh (1880-1953) – an iron merchants clerk (1911)
- Bertha Alice Anna (1882-1947) – a domestic servant (1939)
He married Mary Elizabeth Ray, nee Bailey (1840-1892) in the spring of 1885 at Preston, Lancashire.
The 1891 census describes James as a Baptist chaplain of a cemetery, living in Walton, Liverpool. In 1901 he is described as a retired PM minister.
James died in early 1902 at Walton, Liverpool, Lancashire.
- 1865 Patrington
- 1866 Epworth
- 1867 Kelsale
- 1868 Liverpool
- 1869 Preston
- 1871 Chester
- 1874 Bradwell
- 1876 Douglas I
- 1879 Leigh
- 1881 Bacup
- 1884 Blackpool
- 1885 disappears
W Leary, Directory of Primitive Methodist Ministers and their Circuits, 1990
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers