Herridge, James (1824-1905)
James was born on 15 July 1824 at Leigh on Mendip, Somerset, to parents Joseph and Ann. He was baptised on 21 August 1825 at Nunney, Somerset. James was converted aged 19 at Leigh chapel in the Frome circuit and joined the PM Society a week later.
His obituary records that he was a good pastor and much appreciated in the homes of the people. He was a capable superintendent, a good manager of men and his stations invariably prospered. His public prayers were often a means of grace to those who heard them.
James was several times recognised by his peers and elected to serve as District Meeting Chairman.
James married Rachel Williams (1833-1909) in 1857 at Whitney, Oxfordshire. Census returns identify seven children.
- Willie (b1858) – an outfitter and clothier, possibly emigrated to Canada
- Decimus (1860-1910) – a schoolmaster
- Annie Eliza (1862-1946) – married Charles John Pinniger, a draper
- James Herbert (b1864 – a temperance hotel proprieter in 1911
- Kate Amelia (1868-1950) – married Robert Henry Davies, a schoolmaster
- Alice Minnie (1870-1955)
- John Morley (1873-1950) – a photographic artist
James died on 2 Jun 1905 at Boscombe, Bournemouth, Hampshire.
- 1846 Frome
- 1848 Newbury
- 1850 Corfe Castle
- 1851 Poole
- 1852 Whitney
- 1854 Market Lavington
- 1856 Newbury
- 1858 Brinkworth
- 1860 Southampton
- 1863 Leamington
- 1865 Oxford
- 1866 Andover
- 1869 Motcombe
- 1873 Banbury
- 1878 Whitney
- 1879 Southampton
- 1883 Swindon
- 1890 Bournemouth
- 1894 Bournemouth (S)
Primitive Methodist Magazine 1874 (portrait); 1907/152; 1910/150 (Rachel)
PM Minutes 1906/15
W Leary,Directory of Primitive Methodist Ministers and their Circuits , 1990
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers