Edward was born abt1856 at Doseley Dawly, Shropshire, to parents John Icke, a labourer at iron works(1851), and Hannah Bird.
Before entering the ministry Edward was a labourer in an iron works.
Edward emigrated to the USA in 1903. He appears to have changed his name to Hugh Reid. He and the family are found in the 1910 census at Chester, Hamden, Massachusetts, where Hugh is working as a farmer.
He married Harriet Terry (abt1856-1944) in the summer of 1881 in the Farnham Registration District, Surrey. Census returns and birth records identify eight children.
- Edward (1883-1935) – an auditor (1920)
- May (1885-1917) – married Wiliam J Gilpin circa 1906
- Raymond (1887-1967) – a clerk (1910)
- Arthur Reginald (1899-1963) – a street car motorman (1920)
- Gilbert (1891-1977) – a street car motorman (1920)
- Frank (1893-1986) – a salesman (1940)
- Stanley Marshall (1897-1981) – a tower man for Pacific Electric Railway (1930)
- John Maurice (1899-1899)
Edward (Hugh) died in 1911 and is buried at Green Lawn Cemetery, East Longmeadow, Hampden County, Massachusetts.
- 1877 Guildford
- 1878 Glasgow II
- 1881 Haywards Heath
- 1883 Aldershot
- 1885 Marlborough
- 1888 Aberavon
- 1890 Cheltenham
- 1892 Chatham
- 1895 Brighton
- 1896 Bromyard
- 1902 Ramsey, Isle of Man
- 1903 ceased
W Leary, Directory of Primitive Methodist Ministers and their Circuits, 1990
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers