Joseph was born abt1837 at Houghton Conquest, Bedfordshire, to parents William, who worked the land, and Sarah. He was baptised on 26 February 1837 at Houghton Conquest.
Joseph also worked the land before he entered the ministry. At the time of his marriage he is described as a book agent.
He married Harriet Caroline Gammon (abt1844-1931) on 27 October 1862 at St Pancras, Camden, London. Census returns identify six children.
- Charles William (abt1863-1893) – a fancy dyer (1891)
- Emily (1864-1928) – a straw bonnet machinist (1901); married George Bandy, a boiler tester at iron foundry (1911), in 1905
- Kate (abt1867-1940) – a hat machinist (1891); married Benjamin Butterfield, a brickworks labourer (1911), in 1898
- Annie Laura (abt1869-1933) – married Frederick Walter Price, a painter and wall paper hanger (1901), in 1890
- Florence Martha (1870-1939) – an asbestos sample maker (1891); married Walter Pedder, a straw hat packer (1901, in 1896
- Arthur (abt1873-1896)
Joseph died in April 1873 in the Prescott Registration District, Lancashire; probably at Ditton where his youngest son was born. He was buried on 24 April 1873.
Harriet married George Halfpenny, a tester of brass taps, in 1902 at Luton, Bedfordshire. She also had two more children after Joseph had died in 1880 and 1885.
- 1860 Bagshot
- 1861 Goudhurst
- 1863 disappears
- 1864-1871 Park Street, Hatfield, Herts – Congregational minister
W Leary, Directory of Primitive Methodist Ministers and their Circuits, 1990
Surman Index id 15675
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers