Leadley, Francis (1846-1922)
Francis was born in 1846 at Driffield, Yorkshire to parents Joseph James Leadley and Leah Leadbeater. His parents were both Primitive Methodists. Joseph worked as a shoemaker, a trade that Francis also followed before entering the ministry.
When young, Francis was introduced into the ‘atmosphere’ of Sunday School and Church life. He made a public commitment to Christ in 1863. Francis began to preach at the age of eighteen.
His obituary records that Francis had a lofty conception of the ministerial calling, and studied to show himself approved of God. He was well read in theological and puritan literature, and his preaching was always abreast of the times. Revivals of religion broke out on several of his circuits, especially at Stockport, where many souls were added to the Church.
Francis served as District Committee Secretary.
Francis married Sophia Morris (1854-1929) on 23 June 1875 at Kings Lynn. Census returns identify eight of twelve children.
- Frank Ernest (1876-1964) – a draper and clothier; emigrated to Australia in 1913 and went on to New Zealand in 1920.
- Maud Alice (1878-1959) – a milliner (1901); married Arthur Ellis Roberts, a draper
- Florence May (b1880)
- Walter Edmund (b1884) – a sorting clerk and telegraphist (1911); emigrated to Australia in 1911 and moved to New Zealand in 1914
- Percy George (b1887) – moved to Canada circa 1910 and later to New Zealand.
- Ethel May (1889-1891)
- Fred Leadbetter (1894-1971)
- Francis died on 22 February 1922 at Bournemouth, Dorset.
Sophia moved to New Zealand after Francis died.
- 1870 Doncaster II
- 1872 Hull I
- 1873 Tadcaster
- 1875 Barton on Humber
- 1878 Hull III
- 1881 Brompton
- 1883 Easingwold
- 1887 Bradford I
- 1890 Sunderland I
- 1892 Scholes
- 1894 Barrowford
- 1895 Peel
- 1898 Stockport I
- 1901 Bolton I
- 1902 Manchester I
- 1905 Portland
- 1907 Sheffield III
- 1908 Hemsworth
- 1909 Reading
- 1911 Mere
- 1913 Bournemouth (S)
Primitive Methodist Magazine 1907/339; 1922/803
PM Minutes 1922/270
W Leary , Directory of Primitive Methodist Ministers and their Circuits , 1990
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers
Archer family tree on Ancestry.com