The most likely candidate I have identified for this travelling preacher was George Henry Ladd, born in the summer of 1849 at Quadring, Lincolnshire, to parents William, a farmer of 17 acres (1851), and Ann.
Census returns identify the following occupation for George.
- 1861 scholar
- 1871 draper
- 1881 leather merchant
- 1891 leather merchant
- 1901 leather merchant
- 1911 fish salesman
He married Alice Louisa Spinks (abt1857-1940) in the spring of 1877 at Norwich, Norfolk. Census returns and birth records identify nine children.
- Ida Beatrice (b abt1878) – a cookery teacher (1901); married Charles William Barker in 1906; widow with three children (1911)
- Horace Reginald (abt1879-1879)
- Ethel Maud (b1879) – a saleswoman drapery (1901); married Geoffrey Garrett in 1907
- Lilian May (1881-1973) – married Henry Robert Mackay, a clerk (1911), in 1907
- Archibald Cecil (1882-1899)
- Mabel Lucy (1883-1964) – milliner (1901); a mother’s help (1911)
- Sydney George (1885-1959) – a draper (1911)
- Florence Elsie (1886-1970) – interviewer for National Institution of Apprentices (1911); married John P Craine, a pharmacist (1939), in 1913
- Winifred Alice (1893-1980) – a telephonist (1911); married Arthur King, an editor of general and educational books (1939), in 1916
George died in late 1933 in Hampstead, London.
- 1871 Norwich
- 1872 disappears
W Leary, Directory of Primitive Methodist Ministers and their Circuits, 1990
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers