John was born on 18 March 1867 at Lydbury, Shropshire, to parents Edward, an iron founder (1881), and Jane.
John initially arrived in New York on 22 May 1894 having travelled from Glasgow on the “State of Nebraska”.
He married Clara Ann Beamond (1867-1897) in early 1891 in the Aston Registration District, Warwickshire. Records identify three children.
- William Ewart (1892-1974) – a merchant (1925); a sociology professor (1940)
- Clara Winifred (1893-1979) – – a science teacher (1920); married Francis Corrie Lipscomb in 1922
- Evelyn Lucy (b1894) – undertaking war relief work (1920); married Roy Stuart Patten, a merchant
He married Florence Green (1873-1949) on 16 August 1898 at Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland. Records identify one child.
- George Edward Roberts (b1900) – an insurance agent (1924); a refrigeration dealer (1940)
John died on 15 October 1942 at New York, USA.
- 1888 Birmingham
- 1891 Wolverhampton
- 1893 Paisley
- 1894 to USA – transfers to Presbyterian ministry
W Leary, Directory of Primitive Methodist Ministers and their Circuits, 1990
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers
Note: Clara Ann is also referred to as Besmond in some records.