This was probably Josiah Luther born in late 1851 at Minsterley, Shropshire, to parents James, a lead miner (1861) and Anne. Frustratingly, I have not found Josiah on the 1881 census returns.
Census returns identify the following occupations for Josiah.
- 1871 lead miner
- 1881 not found
- 1891 general labourer
- 1901 farmer
- 1911 farmer
He married Mary Ann Finch (1859-1946) in early 1885 at The Leigh, Gloucestershire, by banns. The last Sunday of banns being read was 11 January 1885. Census returns identify seven children.
- Harriet Christine (b1888) – married Ernest Green, a coal merchant, in 1920; emigrated to USA in 1923
- Minnie (1889-1940) – married William Roy Cheape in 1924
- Martin (1894-1986) – an electrician (1939)
- Edward (1896-1968) – a cowman on farm (1939)
- Emily Mary (b1897) – married Frank M Littler, a gardener on private estate (1930), in 1919; emigrated to USA in 1920
- Gertrude Alice (1899-1982) – married Frederick J Wycherley, a plumber & decorator (1939), in 1928
Josiah died on 6 March 1925 at Coombe Hill, nr Cheltenham, Gloucestershire.
- 1876 Birmingham II
- 1877 Ludlow
- 1879 Darlaston
- 1880 Cwm
- 1882 disappears
W Leary, Directory of Primitive Methodist Ministers and their Circuits, 1990
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers