John was baptised on 8 November 1828 at Heathery Cleugh, Co. Durham. His parents were Timothy, a lead miner, and Jane. His brother Timothy was also a PM minster.
The 1871 Canada census return describes John as an insurance agent at London, Ontario.
In 1900 John was residing at St Paul City, Ramsey, Minnesota, a widower, with daughters, Grace and Mary, having moved to USA in 1881.
John married Hannah Peet (abt1828-1897). Census returns identify five children.
- Grace Jane (abt1858-1930) – a nurse (1920)
- Mary Isabella (b abt1860)
- Annie Margaret (b abt1862)
- John William (1864-1940) – a farmer (1910); a dry goods store clerk (1920)
- Timothy Edward (abt1867-1939) – a syrup refinery manager (1920)
John died in 1908 at St Paul, Ramsey County, Minnesota, USA
- 1851 Whitehaven
- 1852 Carlisle
- 1853 Walpole – Canada
- 1854 Toronto
- 1855 Albion
- 1856 Kingston
- 1860 Markham
- 1863 Bowmanville
- 1866 Scarborough
- 1868 London
- 1868 London (Sup)
- 1882 disappears
W Leary, Directory of Primitive Methodist Ministers and their Circuits, 1990
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers