RICHARDSON, Arthur Humphrey 1886 - 1950
Obituary from the Minutes of the Methodist Conference 1950, page 155
Born at Peterborough in 1886. He was trained at Hartley College, Manchester, where his deep social sympathies early showed themselves in the work at the Ancoats Mission. His first appointment was to the South-East London Mission under the late Rev. Joseph Johnson.
Following these two probationary years, he went to West Africa and gave himself for eighteen years to the work in the Nigeria District. By his deep love for the African and his great brotherliness, he endeared himself to all who came under his influence. He was privileged to be the pioneer missionary in the untouched area around Agbani, and later to serve a teeming population as District Book Steward, while at the same time ministering on the Umuahia Circuit.
Returning to the Homeland in 1933, he went back to the work where his ministry began, and became Superintendent of the South-East London Mission.
It greatly prospered under his vigorous and tireless leadership. He entered keenly into the new life of the larger Methodism, and soon became a beloved figure in the London circles of the Church. War came and enemy, action destroyed St. George’s Hall, and day after day its Superintendent looked upon vast material wreckage where he had greatly toiled for the people’s spiritual salvation.
But he, too, had the spirit of the Hall’s patron saint, and even while the deadly attack upon London was proceeding he worked away at his plans to rebuild the work in a fairer form than ever.
He secured an extended site and hoped to see his vision made fact. But the enemy had struck deep, and presently Mr. Richardson’s health broke. He retired prematurely to Robin Hood’s Bay, N. Yorkshire, having put into his strong leadership a wealth of compassion, a tireless energy and a great organising genius.
He became Supernumerary in 1948, and passed away on 17th June 1950, after thirty-seven years of ministry. The majesty of his compassion will long continue to bless the people he served.
©Trustees for Methodist Church Purposes 1950