Thomas was born in 1839 at Swynnerton, nr. Newcastle under Lyme, Staffordshire, to parents John, who worked the land (1851), and Mary.
Census returns identify the following occupations for Thomas
- 1851 plough boy
- 1861 labourer visiting in Shrewsbury
- 1871 grocer (employing 3 youths) & Methodist Local Preacher
- 1881 grocer
- 1891 retired grocer
- 1901 retired grocer
He married Sarah Brough (1839-1909) on 1 December 1863 at Keele, Staffordshire. Census returns identify four children.
- Sarah Elizabeth (1866-1941) – married William Henry Mason, a PM minister, in 1907
- Annie (b1869) – married William Wardle , a bookmaker (1911), in 1897
- Gertrude Mary (1871-1941) – married Colin Smith, a house furnisher (1911) and estate agent (1939), in 1900
- William Brough (1875-1943) – a science lecturer (biology) (1911)
Thomas died on 1 June 1907 at Newcastle under Lyme, Staffordshire. He was buried on 5 June 1907 at Newcastle cemetery, Staffordshire.
- 1861 Shrewsbury
- 1862 disappears
W Leary, Directory of Primitive Methodist Ministers and their Circuits, 1990
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers