George was born on 11 July 1847 at Bishops Nympton, Devon to parents Alexander Shapcott and Mary Chapple. The 1851 census identifies Alexander working as a cordwainer and Mary a dressmaker. By 1861 Alexander had become a letter carrier.
Prior to entering the ministry, George worked as a plasterer. At the time of the 1871 census, George was lodging with Rev John Thomas Brown in Croyden.
The majority of George’s ministry took place in London. At Kilburn, George erected a substantial chapel in Kilburn Lane. He also built Mission Chapels at College Park and Willesden Green. These Mission Chapels were later replaced by more commodious buildings.
His obituary records that George was an able preacher and greatly beloved for his kindness of heart and his devotion to his people’s welfare. He was a great chapel builder and formed several circuits. He was a man of inborn power, conspicuous courage, and great resource. He was one of God’s gentlemen, courteous, chivalrous, and generous.
George married Catherine Sutton Rumball (1857-1942) in the spring of 1877 at Bedford. Records returns identify six children.
- Janet Mary (1878-1958) – a jewellery polisher; married Alfred Shapcott, an insurance manager and first cousin,
- Lilian Elizabeth (1880-1930) – a jewellery polisher; married Francis Walter Kendall, a carpenter and builder
- Wesley Frederick (1881-1973) – a diamond cutter and gold jeweller; enlisted in RFC in WW1; emigrated to Australia
- Douglas William Sutton (1884-1928) – a diamond and gold dealer; emigrated to Australia
- Gertrude Catherine (1893-1990) – a music teacher and milliner (1911); married Frederick Burrows
- Eveline Gladys (1900-1990) – married Edward James Dunstone
George died on 26 January 1935 at Wembley, Middlesex.
- 1872 Reading
- 1875 Bedford
- 1877 London IX
- 1882 Camden Town
- 1883 Kilburn
- 1886 Hackney
- 1890 Caledonian Rad
- 1894 Kilburn
- 1915 Kilburn (Sup)
Primitive Methodist Magazine 1909/87
PM Minutes 1935/205
H B Kendall, Origin and History of the PM Church, vol 2, p539
W Leary , Directory of Primitive Methodist Ministers and their Circuits , 1990
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers
Main Shapcott Tree on Ancestry.com