A transcription of obituary published in the Primitive Methodist Magazine by Wm. Goodman is attached. He writes as follows.
“He (Matthew) prosecuted the duties of a minister with great diligence and fidelity. He was ever acceptable and useful in his pulpit ministrations. His genial nature and sincere piety made him a welcome guest in the family. By the bedside of the sick he was always at home, and his sympathetic heart made him a valued friend to those in sorrow. He cannot be spoken of as a ‘Connexional man.’ The executive work of the church afforded him no pleasure. But he was a circuit man. He loved the pulpit, and aimed to be useful in the homes of the people. He also performed quite his share of work in chapel building, and in efforts to reduce chapel and school debts. He was also an earnest friend of the temperance cause.”
Matthew was born on 16 March 1839 at Catforth, Preston, Lancashire, to parents Matthew Shorrock (d1850), and Ann Salisbury.
He married Elizabeth Fairclough (1836-1896) in the spring of 1864 in the Preston Registration District, Lancashire. Census returns identify ten children.
- Mary Jane (b1865) – a housekeeper (1901); married Joseph Meggitt Benton, manager of planing & moulding mill (1911), in 1904
- Richard William (1867-1908) – a dairyman (1901)
- Eliza Annie (1869-1949) – a warehouse assistant (1891); a shop assistant, Boots the chemist (1911)
- Thomas (1871-1950) – emigrated to USA in 1907; a foreman at bleachers (1930)
- Ernest (abt1872-1941) – a clerk (1911); an estate agent (1939)
- George Arthur (b1874) – a grocer (1891)
- Matthew Henry (b1875) – a grocer (1891); travelled to USA in 1907
- Elizabeth Lorina (1877-1882)
- John James (1879-1952) – emigrated to USA in 1910
- Isabella (b1880) – a folder in book-binding and printing works (1901)
Matthew died on 15 July 1883 at Stockport, Cheshire.
- 1860 Knowlwood
- 1861 Preston Brook
- 1863 Rochdale
- 1865 Haslingden
- 1866 Lyme
- 1868 Chester
- 1870 Stockport
- 1876 Fleetwood
- 1879 Preston I
- 1880 Over Darwen
- 1882 Stockport I
Primitive Methodist Magazine 1884/177
PM Minutes 1884/8
W Leary, Directory of Primitive Methodist Ministers and their Circuits, 1990
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers