John was born on 9 June 1814 at Portsea, Hampshire, to parents John and Elizabeth. He was baptised on 3 July 1814 at St Peters Wesleyan Chapel, Daniel Street and Green Row, Portsmouth.
Census returns identify the following occupations for John.
- 1841 PM minister, at Beverley, Yorkshire.
- 1851 Baptist preacher at Market Yarborough, Leicestershire
- 1861 Baptist minister at Westbourne, Sussex
- 1871 a baker & confectioner at Guelph, Ontario, Canada
- 1881 Baptist preacher at Guelph, Ontario
- 1881 Baptist minister visiting sister in Portsea.
- 1891 Methodist clergyman at Guelph, Ontario
- 1901 retired
The family emigrated to Canada in 1871.
He married Elizabeth Rae (1816-1905) at Paisley, Scotland. Census returns identify two children.
- Elizabeth Rae (1848-1920) – married Robert Johnston, a baker (1901), in 1871
- John Walker Flavell (1851-1924) – a barber (1911)
John died in on 14 August 1905 in a street-car accident at Guelph, Ontario, Canada.
- 1839 Bradford
- 1840 Hull
- 1842 Driffield
- 1843 Glasgow
- 1844 Driffield
- 1845 Swinefleet
- 1847 Scotter
- 1849 Epworth
- 1850 disappears
W Leary, Directory of Primitive Methodist Ministers and their Circuits, 1990
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers