George was born abt1848 at Stoke Mandeville, Buckinghamshire, to parents William, a boot maker, and Emma Laycock.
Census returns identify the following occupations for George.
- 1861 scholar
- 1871 methodist minister
- 1881 elementary teacher
- 1891 elementary teacher
- 1901 school master
- 1911 schoolmaster (elementery)
He married Mary Maria Taylor (1848-1929) on 8 November 1873 at St Mark, Hull, Yorkshire. Census returns identify four children.
- Florence Mary (b1874) – married Edgar Ashworth Craven in 1912
- Edith (b1875) – married George Thomas Richardson in 1899
- George William (b1877) – emigrated to Canada in 1898; engineer (1901)
- John Percival (1883-1928) – a junior clerk (1901); an entomologist (1922); died at Halifax, Nova Scotia
George died on 8 December 1923 at Hull, Yorkshire.
- 1871 Burton on Trent
- 1872 Horncastle
- 1874 disappears
W Leary, Directory of Primitive Methodist Ministers and their Circuits, 1990
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers
Note: Records spell the surname Spittall, Spittal or Spittel.