Transcription of obituary published in the Minutes of Conference
GEORGE WILLIAM STANYER was born in Congleton, Cheshire, in 1868. He was blessed with godly parents, and was the only son of a family of nine children; his parental home-life was beautiful in its love and mutual respect. Here he learnt those moral principles and that spiritual fervour which characterised his subsequent ministry. At an early age his parents removed to Leek, Staffs. He was educated in the West Street Wesleyan school. At the age of thirteen he was converted, joined our church and at once became interested in its spiritual activities. His father, who is an honoured local preacher and trustee in the Leek Circuit, naturally took a great interest in his son’s welfare, taking him with him to his appointments and counselling him in matters pertaining to the great work of preaching.
After passing through the usual course of trial, he was placed upon the full plan, and received, throughout the circuit, as an earnest and acceptable preacher. His own church had his first thoughts and acts of devotion, yet he found time to take upon himself the duties of secretary of the Leek Temperance Association, in which capacity he worked hard, and with his committee realised results which live unto this day. His piety, diligence and ability suggested to his church a promise of fitness for the ministry. In the fall of 1888 he accepted the call of the High Wycombe Station as hired local preacher. After serving his term of six months, he entered Bourne College, Quinton, Birmingham, where under the tuition of the head master, J.T.S. Hooson, B.A., he received that education which largely fitted him for his future work.
The Leek Circuit recommended him as a fit and proper person for our ministry in 1890. The Rev. R. Crewdson being the superintendent of the Station took much interest in the candidates’ prospects. The Conference of 1890 appointed him to Saffron Walden, where he stayed for two years; afterwards he was stationed to the following circuits:—Biggleswade, Woburn Sands, Ryde and Ventnor, Aberavon, Leominster and Llanymynech.
Upon each station he was much beloved. He took an abiding interest in the several aspects of circuit work, the temperance cause, Sunday schools, chapel questions, pastoral oversight, and pulpit ministration. His ministry yielded the fruit of good living. On no station did he report a decrease, and with two exceptions (Woburn Sands and Ryde) it was his joy to report increases. During his third year at Leominster he had a severe illness, from which he never fully recovered. This he bore with fortitude, thinking more of others than himself. He knew the critical state of his father’s health, and to keep anxiety frorn the parental home, kept the worst to himself and his dear, devoted wife.
When he entered upon the Llanymynech Station he was in a weak state of health, but set himself to his task with his accustomed faith and earnestness. The brief toil was much blessed to the circuit. His preaching, sympathy, and pastoral visitations endeared him to his people. Hopes of success cheered minister and officials, but the task became too great for the weakening body. Early in September the doctor ordered complete rest; this was granted by the General Committee, a supply was obtained, but the rest failed to restore strength, he became weaker, his affliction was severe, but his faith never failed. To his father he said, ‘It is all right, it is all right,’ a confession of strong faith and that God did all things well. On the 22nd October, 1902, he passed through the gate and avenue of death to his life in heaven.
The Rev. W. Dudley, of Oswestry, conducted an ‘In Memoriam’ service in the Pant Chapel, October 24th. The circuit steward (Mr. T. W. Green) and other officials spoke of the high character of the deceased and the great loss which the circuit had sustained.’ (The circuit’s appreciation and high respect for our brother were not mere conventionalities. Their kindness has been the kindness of the Lord. Since October to the coming Conference they have provided home for the widow and child and allowed them £10 per quarter as well.)
George was born in late 1867 at Congleton, Cheshire, to parents Peter, a ribbon weaver (1881), and Eliza.
He married Elizabeth (Lizzie) Bissell (b1870) in the summer of 1895 in the Stourbridge Registration District, Worcestershire. Census returns identify one child.
- Gladys Irene (b1896)
George died on 22 October 1902 at Pant, Llanymynech, Shropshire.
- Bourne, Quinton
- 1890 Saffron Walden
- 1892 Biggleswade
- 1894 Woburn Sands
- 1895 Ryde & Ventnor
- 1896 Aberavon
- 1899 Leominster
- 1902 Oswestry
PM Minutes 1903/32
W Leary, Directory of Primitive Methodist Ministers and their Circuits, 1990
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers
Note: His birth record is in the name Stanier.