Richard was born on 13 March 1804 at Culford, Suffolk, to parents Richard and Elizabeth. He was baptised on 9 April 1804 at Culford.
Census returns identify the following occupations for Richard.
- 1841 minister at Tharston, Depwade, Norfolk
- 1851 landed proprietor, also houses
- 1861 United Methodist Free Church minister at Park St Chapel, Worcester
- 1871 home missionary at Cheadle, Staffordshire
He married Sarah Lamb (1805-1843) on 3 April 1828 at Edwardstone, Suffolk. Census returns identify five children.
- Richard Samuel (1829-1892) – an accountant (1881)
- Samuel (1831-1889) – a merchant tailor employing 20 hands (1881)
- Elizabeth Ann (1836-1914) – married Charles Hewitt, a printer and stationer (1891), in 1866
- Sarah (b abt1839)
- Lucy Maria (1842-1921) – married Sibson Blower Bonner, a tailor & newsagent (1891), in 1870
- He married Ann Raven, nee Finch (b1803) on 21 October 1845 at Lynn Regis Baptist church, Norfolk.
Richard died in the spring of 1878 at Durham, Co Durham.
- 1830 Brandon
- 1831 Norwich
- 1833 Fakenham
- 1834 Lynn
- 1837 Upwell
- 1839 Fakenham
- 1840 Norwich
- 1842 N Walsham
- 1845 Lynn
- 1846 disappears
W Leary, Directory of Primitive Methodist Ministers and their Circuits, 1990
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers
Note: Many records are in the surname Steele