Talbot, Ephraim (1826-1897)
Ephraim was born on 10 September 1826 at Grange, Lincolnshire to parents John and Emma. His father John was a husbandman.
Ephraim was converted in his teens at Misterton in the Gainsborough circuit. He immediately started working in Sunday School. This would be a continuing emphasis through his ministry.
In 1850, Ephraim supplied for William Sanderson at Doncaster. He came friendly with William’s daughter Rebecca, a friendship that led to marriage on completion of his probation.
His obituary records that as a preacher Ephraim was calm, quiet, plain, practical and truly evangelical.
Thomas Whittaker writes; ‘Mr Talbot was a hard-working, painstaking, plodding man; never very strong, but always steadily going along, his heart and his hand always on the work. He was a good contriver, laid down plans in his own mind, then worked thereon with a will.’
Ephraim married Rebecca Sanderson (1833-1917) on 14 November 1856 at Brigg, Lincolnshire. Records identify eight children.
- William John Campbell (1857-1837) – an officer in the Royal Army Medical Corp
- Mary Ann Sanderson (1859-1958) – married James Laycock, a stationer
- Sarah Lucy Rebecca (1861-1930) – married Herbert Hopwood Capes, a landscape artist
- Ellen Henrietta Elizabeth (b1865) – married John Priestley, a timber merchant’s clerk
- Lillah Julia P (1868-1868)
- Arthur Edward A (1869-1872)
- Lilla Priscilla (1871-1945) – married Robert Henry Melbourne
- Emma Terrewest (1876-1949) – fancy draper in 1911
Ephraim died on 14 October 1897 at Patrington, Yorkshire.
- 1852 London ll
- 1853 Hornsea
- 1855 Alford
- 1857 Grimsby
- 1859 Driffield
- 1861 Barton on Humber
- 1863 Swinefleet
- 1866 Winterton
- 1869 Scotter
- 1872 Brigg
- 1875 Howden
- 1878 Patrington
- 1881 North Cave
- 1884 Richmond
- 1888 Stratford
- 1891 Mansfield
- 1892 Patrington (S)
Primitive Methodist Magazine 1880 (portrait); 1898/707
PM Minutes 1898/25
W Leary, Directory of Primitive Methodist Ministers and their Circuits, 1990
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers