John was born in 1841 at Hereford, Herefordshire, to parents John and Sarah. He was baptised on 6 September 1841 at St John the Baptist, Hereford.
Census returns identify the following occupations for John.
- 1861 book binder
- 1871 minister of Independent Chapel, Colne, Lancashire
- 1881 journalistic clerk – under the name Joseph
- 1891 india rubber dealer
- 1901 manager of independent rubber shop
- 1911 commercial traveller india rubber
He married Mary Elizabeth Lane (b1837) in early 1847 at Thornbury, Gloucestershire.
He married Harriet Handley (abt1856-1929) in late 1909 in the West Bromwich Registration District, Staffordshire. They appear to have lived together, as man and wife, for some time before the marriage. Census returns identify five children of six children.
- John Hargrave (abt1876-1947) – manager of India Rubber Company (1911)
- Annie (b1877) – married Henry Glover, a general labourer (1911), in 1899
- Minnie (b1879)
- Ethel (b1881)
- Herbert (1882-1963) – an art metal polisher (1911)
John died in June 1922. He was buried on 19 June 1922 at Harborne, Staffordshire.
- 1862 Bristol
- 1863 Aberdare
- 1864 disappears
W Leary, Directory of Primitive Methodist Ministers and their Circuits, 1990
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers