Timbery, George (1820-1849)

Transcription of obituary published in the Primitive Methodist Magazine by G Wallis

GEORGE TIMBURY was born at Shipton Mallet, Somersetshire, on May 6th, 1820. His father died when he was but an infant; but his mother, who knew the value of true religion, often conversed with him about the depravity of human nature, and the great atonement, and sent him to a Wesleyan sabbath-school, where his mind was powerfully impressed with spiritual things. Also, he was interested in the prayers of his pious grandfather, for whom he cherished grateful recollections in after life. Notwithstanding his privileges, he withheld his heart from God till the year 1835; when, under the ministry of the Wesleyans, he was led to the Saviour, and became one of their members. 

What occasioned the cessation of his fellowship with them, I know not; but after removing from his native village to Swansea, in Wales, he entered our Connexion, and was, after a while, constituted a local preacher. Afterwards he removed into the Salisbury circuit; and hereby he was called into the itinerancy, in 1844. Poole circuit was the next sphere of his labours; and here he had the benefit of the superintendency of Mr. S. Wilshaw, who writes of him as follows:—“ During the twelve months we were together, brother Timbury was generally accepted, was decidedly pious, and laboured diligently to obtain useful knowledge. The chief part of his time was spent in the Wimborne branch; and he was not only regular in attending his appointments, but was a good family visitor. So much was he beloved, that the Conference of 1845 restationed him in the Poole circuit, at the request of the brethren hereof; and his second year’s ministrations were equally as effectual as those of the first. Frome circuit was his next station; and here he laboured two successive years with acceptance and usefulness.”

Wallingford circuit was his last: Hither he came, in July, 1848, fully resolved to do all he could to advance the cause of Christ; and success rewarded his toil. Being re-stationed here the second year, he and I engaged to devote ourselves increasedly to the saving of souls; but, ah! “in the midst of life we are in death!” A pain suddenly affected one of his hips, and an abscess ensued. That he might have the skill of a physician connected with the Oxford infirmary, he became an out-patient of this institution; and during twelve weeks of intense suffering, he exemplified that Gospel he had preached when in health, and urged the afflicted around him to prepare to meet God. One man told me that he had cause to bless God that his lot had been cast with Mr. Timbury, who had talked to him about the salvation of his soul, and prayed for him and other sufferers.

Hopeless of recovery, our brother wished to be removed to my house at Wallingford; and after his wish had been complied with, he thanked God that he was likely to expire among his friends. Occasionally his temptations were great. One day, he said to me, “The devil has been suggesting that there is no heaven; but I have repulsed him by replying, ‘If there be no heaven, there is no hell; if God does not reward the righteous, he will not punish the wicked.’ ” There were, however, many sweets in his cup, and these he drank with thanksgiving to God. On one occasion he said, “I am full of love; I love everybody.” At another time, when about to be removed in bed, and scarcely hoping to survive the effort, he said, “Go and tell Mr. Wallis that my anchor is cast; all is well.” To my wife, who had said, “Mr. Timbury, you do not doubt that you are going to heaven?” he replied, “If I thought I should not go to heaven, I could not live.” “I am on the Rock,” said he.

For about a week before his exit his prospects were cloudless. His enjoyments were not ecstatic, but he trusted calmly in the Lord till September 8th, 1849, and then fell asleep in Jesus, aged twenty- eight years. On the 11th, he and one of my children were interred in the burial-ground in front of our chapel at Wallingford. May I meet his departed spirit and that of my child in paradise!


George was born on 6 May 1820 at Shepton Mallet, Somerset, to mother Ann. He was baptised on 8 April 1920 at Shelton Mallet.

He married Lydia Lewis (1826-1876) in 1848 at St James, Bristol, Gloucestershire.

George died on 8 September 1849 at Wallingford, Berkshire.

Lydia married Thomas Powell, a PM minister, in 1850. 


  • 1844 Wimborne
  • 1846 Frome
  • 1848 Wallingford


Primitive Methodist Magazine 1850/11

W Leary, Directory of Primitive Methodist Ministers and their Circuits, 1990

Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers

Note: There is variation in the spelling of the surname.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *