Stephen was born in 1832 at Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, to parents Robert, a shoe maker (1841), and Maria. He was baptised on 24 October 1832 at St Nicholas, Great Yarmouth.
Census returns identify the following occupations for Stephen.
- 1851 a tailor’s assistant
- 1861 PM minister
- 1871 Independent minister of Ruffles’ Memorial Chapel, Liverpool
- 1881 Independent minister of Oxford Rd Congregational Church, Putney
- 1891 Congregational minister
- 1901 retired Congregational minister
He married Rebecca Cranstone (1832-1896) in the summer of 1857 in the Hackney Registration District, London. Census returns identify four children.
- Rebecca Mary Matilda (1859-1931) – a schoolmistress (1891); a boating hose keeper (1911)
- Stephen Robert (1860-1936) – a science inspector, London County Council (1911)
- Jessie Maria (1862-1936) – a schoolmistress (1891); a boarding house keeper (1911)
- William Cranstoun (1864-1933) – a merchant’s book keeper (1891); managing clerk to chartered accountant (1911)
Stephen died on 7 December 1906 at Putney, London
- 1853 London I
- 1856 Bridgewater
- 1857 Glasgow
- 1859 Paisley
- 1861 Glasgow
- 1862 disappears
W Leary, Directory of Primitive Methodist Ministers and their Circuits, 1990
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers
Note: Stephen does not appear in the Surman Index