Matthew was born abt1823 at Antrim, Ireland.
Records provide the following information about Matthew.
- 1858 in Ireland when eldest daughter born
- 1861 Independent minister at Woodham Ferris, Essex
- 1881 independent minister at Sudbury, Suffolk
- emigrated to Canada in mid 1880’s. Clarissa travelled to Canada in 1884.
- 1891 Congregational minister at Turnberry, Huron East, Canada
- emigrated to USA in 1891
- 1900 minister in Mayville, North Dakota
He married Clarissa Parker (b abt1836) in early 1857 at Weston Colville, Cambridgeshire. Census returns identify eight children.
- Mary Charlotte Augusta (1858-1919) – married Arthur Brook Osborn in 1884
- John Angell James (1860-1950) – a surgeon’s assistant (1891); a retired pharmacist (1939)
- Clarissa M A (1866-1966) – married Arthur Golby Young, a Salvation Army officer in 1890
- Blanche Gertrude Gray (1868-1937) – married William John Langrill, a butcher, in 1888
- George Alexander G (1870-1955) – a minister (1910)
- Joseph Thomas E (b1876) – a stenographer (1900)
- Henrietta Agnes Kathleen (1878-1962) – a sales lady (1920)
I have not been able to identify a death record for Matthew. Clarissa died after 1915.
- 1851 Donaghmore
- 1853 Goudhurst
- 1854 Luton
- 1855 Saffron Walden
- 1857 disappears
W Leary, Directory of Primitive Methodist Ministers and their Circuits, 1990
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers
i) Leary provides two references in the PM magazine as follows
- 1865/248 Maria Totton
- 1872/564 Mary Totten
I have not found any connection between these two persons and Matthew with the exception that they were both born in Ireland.
ii) Matthew is not recorded in the Surman Index.