Richard was born in 1837 at Penzance, Cornwall, to parents John, a master boot and shoe maker (1851), and Eliza. He was baptised on 20 August 1837 at St Mary, Penzance.
Richard worked as a shoemaker before entering the ministry.
He married Sarah Stoneman (abt1841-1931) in the summer of 1866 in the East Grinstead Registration District, Sussex. Census returns identify six children.
- William Henry (b abt1870) – a watchmaker & jeweller (1901)
- Arthur Richard (b abt1874) – a stationer’s traveller (1901)
- John Ballantyne (1875-1951) – a steelworks chemist (1901); an elocution teacher (1939)
- Charles C (abt1879-1919) – a chemist & druggist (1901)
- Selina Jane (b1881)
- Robert Watson (b abt1884) – clerk at ironworks (1901)
Richard died on 23 June 1906 at Glasgow, Lanarkshire.
- 1861 Liskeard
- 1862 Dartmouth
- 1863 Teignmouth
- 1864 Maldon
- 1866 Croydon
- 1868 Hertford
- 1869 Gloucester
- 1871 Paisley
- 1874 Holborn Hill
- 1875 disappears
- 1874 Kilwinning, Ayrshire – Congregational ministry
- 1878 Fraserburgh, Aberdeenshire
- 1888-1903 Bellshill, Lanarkshire
W Leary, Directory of Primitive Methodist Ministers and their Circuits, 1990
Surman Index id: 27508
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers