Robert was born in 1818 in Yorkshire, to parents William and Ann. He was baptised on 9 March 1818 at Beverley, Yorkshire.
Census returns identify the following occupations for Robert.
- 1841 R (Ranter) preacher at Bramham, Tadcaster
- 1851 lab bottle work at St Mungo, Lanarkshire
- 1861 labourer bottle work at Springburn, Lanarkshire.
- 1871 labourer in England
- 1881 barber or hairdresser
- 1891 barber at Paisley, Renfrewshire
He married Elizabeth Bryce (1825-1891) on 9 February 1846 in Glasgow, Lanarkshire. Census returns and baptism records identify nine children.
- John Williams (b abt1848) – an engine keeper on railway (1881)
- William Bryce (b abt1851)
- Daniel (1853-1935) – a thread mill worker (1891)
- James Buchanan (b1855) – a labourer at bottle works (1871)
- Mary Jane (b abt1858)
- Joseph (b1860) – a thread mill worker (1901)
- Charlotte Elizabeth (b1862)
- Elizabeth (b abt1864)
- Annie Eliza (b1867) – a cotton winder (1881); a thread mill worker (1901)
Robert died on 7 October 1898 at Glasgow Lanarkshire.
- 1841 Hull
- 1842 Portsmouth
- 1843 Pontefract
- 1844 Driffield
- 1846 disappears
W Leary, Directory of Primitive Methodist Ministers and their Circuits, 1990
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers