Whitehead, George (1818-1877)
George was born on 13 November 1818 at Haxey, Lincolnshire to parents Francis Whitehead and Mary Cockin. He was baptised on 13 December 1818 at Haxey. He was converted at the age of 15 under the ministry of George Lamb. George served as a local preacher for some time and was then recommended by the Epworth Branch of the Scotter circuit for itinerant ministry.
For 39 years he fulfilled his course on 21 stations with acceptance and a measure of success. Purity, straightforwardness, honesty, conscientiousness were in him marked characteristics.
As a preacher he was plain, masculine, and deliberate; as a man of business excelling many, being especially adapted for legal matters, distinguishing himself as an authority on Connexional law.
George married Martha Ann Taylor in 1845 at Newcastle upon Tyne. Census returns identify eleven children.
- George William Taylor (b1846) – a merchant seaman
- Elihu Theophilus (1848-1910) – a surgeon
- Annie Maria (b1850) – a nurse
- Christiana Martha (1852-1895)
- Ophelia Sophia (1855-1876) – married William Henry Coard, a reporter and compositor
- Mary Helena (b1857)
- Charlotte Elizabeth (1850-1925) – school-teacher
- Thomas Albert (1861-1946) – railway wagon builder
- Henrietta Alexandria (1863-1938) – married Henry Bampton, a house and estate agent
- Arthur Augustus (1865-1931) – an iron founder
- Victoria Augusta (1867-1916) – married William Henry Mason, a clerk in the metal trade.
George died on 6 August 1877 at Hadnall, Shropshire.
- 1838 Ripon
- 1839 Carlisle
- 1841 Newcastle
- 1842 South Shields
- 1844 Mattishall
- 1845 Yarmouth
- 1847 Colchester
- 1849 Hadleigh
- 1850 Pateley Bridge
- 1852 Bradford
- 1954 Malton
- 1856 Grassington
- 1858 Calder Bank
- 1861 Lichfield
- 1863 W Bromwich
- 1866 Oakengates
- 1869 Brierley Hill
- 1871 Birmingham ll
- 1873 Ramsor
- 1876 Hadnall
Primitive Methodist Magazine 1865 (portrait); 1879/113
PM Minutes 1878/6
W Leary, Directory of Primitive Methodist Ministers and their Circuits, 1990
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers