Whiting, William Henry (1879-1964)

Transcription of obituary published in the Minutes of Conference

WILLIAM HENRY WHITING: born in Harrington, Lincolnshire, in 1879. He experienced conversion as a boy in the Primitive Methodist Chapel at Brinkhill and on leaving school for work on the farm he already felt a call to the ministry. The way was not easy but he eventually entered Hartley College in 1906, began his ministry at Appleby in 1908, and subsequently served at Coalville, Ramsor, Cheadle, Burnley,Maryport, Bedale, Haworth and Clayton West before retiring to Horncastle in 1946.

He never forgot his early farm labours and kept a lively interest in country folk and country ways throughout his ministry. His warm-hearted love of men and women was the foundation of gracious and effective pastoral work. His preaching was marked with a homeliness and humanity which brought together the fruit of his diligent reading and his deep understanding of people, alike to win souls for Christ and to build up the converted. In retirement he continued to enrich by his friendship and gracious influence the lives of those among whom he moved and worshipped, even when no longer able to preach; and he set a notable example in generous giving to the funds of society and circuit. He gave ardent and practical support to the scheme for a new church at Horncastle. 

After his wife died in 1961 his own health began to fail but he never lost his zest for life nor his capacity for friendship. His last outing was to visit his birthplace and to see again the little chapel where he had found his Saviour. Next day he suffered the stroke which led to his death in the eighty-fifth year of his age and the fifty-seventh of his ministry.

Family

William was born on 26 July 1879 at Thimbleby, Lincolnshire, to parents Edward Whiting, a general labourer (1881), and Judith Hall.

Before entering the ministry William worked the land (1901).

He married Lillie Louisa Hardacre (1982-1961) in the spring of 1914 at Bath, Somerset.

William died on 24 September 1964 at County Hospital, Louth, Lincolnshire.

Circuits

  • Hartley
  • 1908 Appleby
  • 1912 Coalville
  • 1915 Ramsor
  • 1920 Cheadle
  • 1923 Burnley I
  • 1925 Maryport
  • 1929 Beadle
  • 1935 Haworth &c
  • 1940 Clayton West
  • 1946 Horncastle (S)

References

Methodist Minutes 1965/180

W Leary, Directory of Primitive Methodist Ministers and their Circuits, 1990

Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *