Burgess was born in 1846 at Louth, Lincolnshire, to parents Daniel Wilkinson, a cattle dealer (1851), and Mary Allison.
The 1861 census return records Burgess as a pupil teacher.
He married Mary Compton Smith (1847-1926) in the spring of 1876 in the Foleshill Registration district, Warwickshire. Census returns identify two children.
- John Burgess (1877-1953) – head teacher of secondary school (1911)
- Thomas Stanley (1879-1970) – a land & estate agent’s clerk (1911); later secretary of County Agricultural Society.
Burgess died on 8 August 1928 at Lewes, Sussex.
- 1866 Doncaster
- 1869 disappears
- Paton Congregational College, Nottingham
- 1874 Melbourne, Cambridgeshire – Congregational minister
- 1888-1912 Tabernacle, Lewes, Sussex
W Leary, Directory of Primitive Methodist Ministers and their Circuits, 1990
Surman Index id: 29287
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers