James was born on 30 March 1834 at Shrewsbury, Shropshire, to parents John, a tailor, and Emma. He was baptised on 5 May 1834 at St John’s Wesleyan Chapel, Shrewsbury, Shropshire.
Census returns identify the following occupations for James.
- 1861 Methodist New Connexion minister at Litchurch, Derby
- 1881 Unitarian minister ay Newcastle under Lyme
He married Elizabeth Richard Shields (1834-1868) in the spring of 1863 at Shrewsbury, Shropshire. Census returns identify one child.
- John Robert C (b1868) – not identified after 1881 census return
He married Eliza Rowe (1855-1896) in late 1873 in the Congleton Registration District, Cheshire. Census returns identify three children.
- Harriet Rosa (b1874) – a shop assistant (1891); a hospital nurse (1901)
- Charles James (b abt1877) – a potter’s warehouse boy (1891); a potter’s warehouseman (1901)
- William Henry (b1879)
James died in March 1889 at Newcastle under Lyme, Staffordshire. He was buried on 10 March 1889 at Newcastle Cemetery.
- 1860 Wrockwardinewood
- 1861 disappears
W Leary, Directory of Primitive Methodist Ministers and their Circuits, 1990
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers