Robert was born in 1838 at Wootton, Oxfordshire, to parents George, a baker, and Lucy. He was baptised on 18 November 1838 at Wootton.
Census returns identify the following occupations for Robert.
- 1861 PM minister
- 1871 baker & Free Methodist local preacher
- 1881 auctioneer
He married Ann Wilson Freeborn (abt1835-1871) in the spring of 1867 in the Wallingford Registration District, Berkshire.
He married Mary Ann Wells (abt1846-1919) in early 1875 in the Witney Registration District, Oxfordshire. Census returns identify six children.
- Mary Ann Durbin (b1874) – married George Stevenson in 1903; not identified after 1911
- Emily Stuart (1875-1952) – a draper’s assistant (1901)
- Robert Wells (1877-1934) – a printer compositor (101)
- Esther Louise (b1879) – not identified after 1891
- Elizabeth (b abt1882) – not identified after 1901
- Edward Lee (b1885) – not identified after 1901
I have not been able to identify Robert’s death record. Can anyone point me in the right direction. Mary is a widow in the 1891 census return.
- 1860 Poole
- 1861 Marlborough
- 1862 Newbury
- 1863 Faringdon
- 1864 disappears
W Leary, Directory of Primitive Methodist Ministers and their Circuits, 1990
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers