Tasmania (Van Diemen's Land)
Wesley Hobart Museum conserves and interprets a collection and archive received from the Wesleyan and Primitive Connexions.
The archive dates from 1820, with records from the Primitive Connexion dating from about 1860. It has been deposited privately by the Uniting Church in Australia with Tasmanian State Archives under series number NS499.
The archive includes minutes, registers and class books relating to the Primitive Methodist Chapel sites at Collins Street, Hobart; Hobart Circuit; Longford; Ross; Campbell Town; Penguin; Launceston, West Tamar & Beaconsfield; and Kingborough.
Organic Union was achieved between the Wesleyan, Primitive and United Free Methodist Churches in Tasmania in 1902. Included in the archive is the order for the Grand Historic Watch Night Service held on New Year’s Eve 1902 to commemorate the commencement of Organic Union.
In 1977 the Methodist Church in Australasia joined in union with the Presbyterian and Congregational Churches to form the Uniting Church in Australia.
Wesley Hobart Museum volunteer staff would be glad to assist with inquiries regarding Tasmanian Primitive Methodist Ancestors.