The Clophill History website provides a page on Methodist Chapels in the village. This includes two PM Chapels, the first in Old Silsoe Road, the second in High Street.Follow this link to view the page.
(added February 2017 by CH)
The Primitive Methodist magazine for January 1853 contains an account by William Cooper of the opening of Clophill Primitive Methodist chapel in the Bedford mission. Clohill at the time had around 800 inhabitants, and meetings had taken place in a cottage. This was not big enough and for the cost of £160 a chapel was erected, towards which they had collected £38. It measured 21.75′ x 27′ and 13′ high, was built of brick with a slate roof, seated 150 and had a good yard in front and to the sides.
Opening services started on November 17th 1852 with sermons by Revs H Sharmon (Luton), WC Robinson, W Cooper, H Kent and J Deighton. Messrs Sharman and Turnley made the mortgage deeds without charge; Mr Burrows gave a bible for the pulpit.
Primitive Methodist magazine January 1853 p.51