Shefford Circuit: Chapel openings
From the Primitive Methodist Magazine, 1838
Newbury is a market town, nearly in the centre of our circuit, where we have for some years preached in a small chapel, formerly occupied by Mr. Wesley. But it being damp, and its situation bad, our usefulness was cramped; but in the spring of the year 1837, a commodious chapel being offered on sale, we purchased it.
This chapel stands in a good situation, is built with brick, and covered with slate, and is sixty feet by thirty-five in the clear, and eighteen feet high, with a vestry and a gallery, and it is regularly settled on the Connexion. It is lighted with gas, and has a burying ground sixty yards by fourteen and a half.
It was opened on Sunday, August 13,1837. Three sermons were preached by Bro. J. Flesher, from London, at half-past ten and six, and Miss Price from Andover, at half-past two. On Monday Miss Price preached at half-past two, and Bro. Flesher at half-past six. The congregations were large, and the collections liberal. I believe it was a time that will ever be remembered by some.
The chapel is well attended, the pews let well, and upwards of forty members have joined the society since the chapel was opened. Also we have commenced a Sunday school in it, which is doing well.
Lambourn is a small town, and was among the first places visited, when the Shefford circuit was missioned. We generally preached in the open air during the summer, and in the winter in small cottages; and frequently many would come that could not gain admittance; so a chapel was greatly needed; and one was built in 1837.
This chapel is built of chalk-stone, and plastered outside; and it is covered with slate. It is thirty feet by eighteen, and ten feet high. It was opened for worship on Friday, October 13, 1837, and on the Sunday following Brothers J. Preston, and J. Habgood, from Brinkworth circuit, officiated on the occasion. The congregations were large, the collections liberal, and a Divine influence rested upon the services.
This chapel is in easy circumstances, and is regularly settled on the Connexion. Its total cost was about eighty pounds.
We desire to present our thanks to Bro. F. Wentworth, and all the Christian Friends, who got up the stones, and took an active part in the building of the Chapel.
Benham . — Here we have preached for some years, and have had a good society. This chapel was opened for Divine worship on Sunday, August 20; on which occasion, three sermons were preached. Two by Bro. E. Kerby, from Bradfield; and one by sister H. Maslin, from Ramsbury. The collections exceeded our expectations, and it was a day of joy to many.
This chapel is in a good situation; is built with brick and covered with slate. Its size is twenty-four feet by sixteen in the clear, and it is regularly settled on the connexion. The cost was a little more than forty pounds. The pews are all let; and the congregation has so increased, that it is in contemplation to enlarge it the next summer.
Aldworth. — This chapel was built about two years ago, by Mr. Nullis, now a local preacher in Reading circuit. We have had it on rent. But at the September quarter-day we purchased it, and settled it upon the Connexion.
It was re-opened on Sunday, January 14, 1838, by Bro. J. Guy, from Reading circuit.
This chapel is well attended, and likely to do well.
(Approved by the quarter day.)
Primitive Methodist Magazine, 1838. Pages 257-258.