Oldham Primitive Methodism, Lancashire
Transcription of Article in the Primitive Methodist Magazine by R. Hind
It has been a pleasure to us, as opportunity has been offered, to call attention to accounts of the rise and progress of Primitive Methodism in given localities. We wish that an antiquarian enthusiast would arise in every circuit and produce a brochure, on the lines of that of the Rev. J.W. Chappell, on Burslem and of Mr. Camidge, on York. Failing this, it is gratifying to find newspapers publishing narratives of considerable historic interest, treating of the rise of Primitive Methodism in certain of the towns and villages of the country. The Oldham Chronicle lately interviewed the Rev. F.W. Brett, who has given the public some remarkable facts regarding the origin of Primitive Methodism in Oldham. It was missioned as far back as 1820, by preachers from Manchester. From the first they appear to have had considerable success, as many as 14,000 being present at a camp meeting in 1822. The first place of worship was a stable in Duke Street. To-day, within the Parliamentary borough, there are: chapel property of more than £30,000 value; 544 Sunday-school teachers; 4,200 scholars; and 5,000 adherents. The adherents at Henshaw Street alone number over 1,000, with 500 scholars in the Sunday school. The cause is exceedingly vigorous in various parts of the borough. There are now four circuits. During the last three years the number of ministers on the ground has increased from five to seven, and very extensive chapel-building schemes have lately been undertaken. Two of these, at Middleton Road and Royton, have involved an expenditure of £5,000, and other schemes are about to be started. During the past year there has been a net increase of more than 50 members, 12 Sunday-school teachers, and 109 scholars. The churches are vigorous and enterprising, and therefore progressive.
Primitive Methodist Magazine 1902/475