Camp Meetings in Lincoln and Horncastle, 1837

From the Primitive Methodist Magazine, 1838

June  11. — Camp meeting at Marten, in Lincoln circuit.  In the morning I walked twelve miles.  The exercises in the morning ser vice were short, pointed, and powerful.  The weather was wet; out God watered our souls from heaven.

The afternoon was so wet we were obliged to leave the camp ground, and go to the preaching room, where we commenced a lovefeast.  The speaking was short and pointed.  Some wept, others shouted for joy.  Some were convinced of sin, and straggled for liberty.  At five o’clock, Bro. John Garner closed the lovefeast, and gave out for me to speak at six.

As soon as the night service commenced, the Lord came to our help.  I was led into faith, and the Lord spoke to the hearts of the people.  The outpouring of the Spirit was so great, that the people burst into shouts.  When preaching was concluded, we commenced prayer; and soon had a cry for mercy.  Three women struggled for liberty, and the Lord set them free.

This day five souls have got converted to God.  One was an old man, whose locks were white with age.  He had been a hearer of the word, but had not before known its saving power.  This was, of course, “a brand plucked from the fire.”

Horncastle Circuit, 1837.

Tetford Camp meeting, June 18.

We sung through the village and towards the Camp ground; but the rain drove us to the preaching room.  Eight friends spoke, not exceeding ten minutes each, intermingled with singing.  The service was powerful, and the Lord gratefully prepared us for the afternoon service.

The weather clearing up, at one o’clock we sung to the Camp ground.  The company was large; the labourers had great liberty.  The presence of God rested on the camp, and some got convinced.

At five we left the field, sang to the village, and forthwith commenced the lovefeast; so the friends kept in the spirit of the work.

The Spirit of God went through the congregation like fire.  The speaking was with great liberty; and, behold, a shaking, and a cry for mercy; and, after a long and hard straggle, the Lord converted five souls.  And at a late hour we returned home, weary in body, but rejoicing in spirit.

At Tetford, our friends visited an afflicted old man, very dark relative to the things of God.  Shortly after my wife visited him; and while she was engaged in prayer, the Lord set his soul at liberty.  He lived a few days praising God, and then died in peace.

August 6, 1837. — Camp meeting at Horncastle.  Met at five in the morning, and had a refreshing season.  At eight met for singing and prayer.  Then sung through the town, kneeling occasionally to pray; and continued our services to the Camp ground.  Many left their houses and followed us.  The company was large, and God gave his servants great liberty in sowing the seed, which himself watered from heaven.  Both rich and poor assembled, to the number, it was supposed, of two thousand.  We were favoured with fine weather; and the power of the Lord rested on the Camp all day.

At six, Lovefeast.  The speaking went on quick; and after much Christian experience had been spoken, we commenced prayer; faith rose, and God poured out his Spirit in a powerful manner.  And we could scarce discern between the cries of the mourners, and the rejoicing of the believers.  We cleared a form, and called the mourners up to be prayed for.  The Lord filled the chapel with his presence, and ten souls professed to get liberty.

The wicked raged, and a stone was thrown through the chapel window.  But the work is the Lord’s and while we depend on him we cannot be moved.

R. Ramsey.


Primitive Methodist Magazine, 1838.  Pages 69-71.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.