Ann Woodward (d.1912)
‘The funeral of the late Mrs. F. Woodward took place on Wednesday, Nov. 6. The body was brought from Henwick to the Primitive Methodist Church, where the first part of the ceremony took place. The officiating minister was the Rev. T.C. Rigg, and the choir was present. The hymns sung were “There’s a land that is fairer than day,” and “Hark a voice divides the sky.” As the body passed down the aisle the organist (Mr. Charles Griffin) played “O rest in the Lord” and “But the Lord is mindful of His own,” and on being borne there from, the Dead March in “Saul.” The cortège then proceeded to the Cemetery where the interment took place.
The mourners were the bereaved husband, three sons, Francis, James and William-(George the eldest settled in Canada), five daughters, Ellen, Minnie, Annie, Tammie and Maggie; Mrs. F. Woodward (daughter-in-law), Mr. Seward (son-in-law), Mr. and Mrs. Karn (brother-in-law and sister), Stephen, James and William (brothers of the bereaved husband), Mrs. Dennis (his sister) and Miss E. Karn (niece).
Among those present were Mrs. Layley, Rev. J. and Mrs.. Neville, Mr. J. Thompson, Mr. James Edwards, Mr. and Mrs. S. Attewell, Mr. J. Pike (Thatcham), Mr. and Mrs. Seward, Mrs. F. Seward, Mr. and Mrs. Ball, Mrs. and Miss Clinch, Mrs. Carruthers, Mrs. Eggleton, Mrs. S. Ball, Mrs. A. Poole, Mrs. Herring, Mr. and Mrs. Griffin.
Wreaths had been received from the sorrowing husband and children, her sister and family at Chatham, cousin Harriet, Mr. and Mrs. Adey, Mr. and Mrs. S. Seward and niece.
The funeral was conducted by Mr. E. Flint. Deceased had throughout her life lived in Newbury, but about two years ago removed to Henwick in the hopes that the change might prove beneficial; but this was hardly realised, and the end came sooner than was expected. Mrs. Woodward had just completed the jubilee of her membership in the Primitive Methodist Church, in which her father, the late Mr. George Guyatt, of Greenham Mills, was a local preacher.
Newbury Weekly News, 14 Nov 1912