William George New (1864-1927)
SUDDEN DEATH ON SUNDAY
A wide circle of friends and acquaintances have learned with great regret of the death of Mr. William George New, of Newlands, Newbury. It occurred suddenly on Sunday from heart failure. His health had been very indifferent for some time, and he was receiving specialist treatment, which appeared to be beneficial. Three weeks ago he and his family went to Bognor for a seaside holiday, Mr. New driving the car. Whilst there he was taken ill, and return had to be made before the completion of the visit. On reaching home he seemed to improve, and was able to get about again. The sudden decease on Sunday came as a terrible shock to his wife and daughters.
William George New was the eldest son of the late Mrs. George New, of Bartholomew-street, and followed him in partnership with his brother in the conduct of the business of baker and corn merchant. Later the bakery was given up, and milling was carried on at Ham Mills. Mr. New retired from the business fifteen years ago, and building himself a house in the southern suburb, devoted himself to his home and garden. Always an active man, he could not be idle, and for the last seven years he had served on the Newbury Board of Guardians, where his practical common sense and business ability were much valued by his fellow members. He was particularly interested in the problem of dealing with vagrants and represented the Board on the Joint Committee for this purpose.
Mr. New put in 22 years’ service in the Royal Berks Yeomanry, and held the rank of Quartermaster-sergeant. This was in the days when the regiment wore the picturesque and imposing uniform of the Dragoons, brass helmet with white plumes, scarlet tunic and blue breeches, with top boots. Sergt. New, a tall upstanding young fellow, had all the manner of the smart cavalryman. He attended the annual trainings in various parts of the county, and took many prizes at the regimental sports. He was present at Queen Victoria’s funeral at Windsor and was awarded the long Service medal.
Mr. New was one of the foundation members of the Newbury Guildhall Club, serving on the committee of management for many years, and acting as chairman. It is only recently that he retired from active association, but throughout showed a keen interest in the work of the institution.
During the war period Mr. New did a lot of strenuous voluntary work, packing vegetables for the Fleet, and undertaking motor ploughing. A staunch adherent of the Primitive Methodist Church from his boyhood, he acted as church steward and treasurer. At one time he was organist at the services. He was also joint treasurer of the Newbury Nursing Association.
Sixty-three years of age, he leaves a wife and three daughters, for whom the greatest sympathy is felt.
The funeral took place yesterday (Wednesday) afternoon. The service being at the Primitive Methodist Church, conducted by the Rev. E.G. French (superintendent minister) and Rev. S.A. Price. The hymn sung was “Still will we trust though earth seems dark and dreary.” The organist (Mr. Charles Griffin) played “Blest are the departed” (Spohr). “Crossing the bar,” “Lead kindly light,” and “O rest in the Lord” (Mendelssohn).
The mourners were Mrs New (wife), Miss Gertrude and Phyllis New (daughters), Mr. and Mrs. A.R. Brown (daughter and son-in-law), Mr. F.D. New (brother), Mr. G. New (nephew), Mr. and Mrs. F. Whichello (Wallingford), Mr. and Mrs. Edwin C. Midwinter, Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Brown (Thatcham), Mr. and Mrs. J.H. Thompson, Mr. and Mrs. A.S. J. Elliott (Caversham).
There is a long list of others present.
Newbury Weekly News 11 September 1927
Buried 14 September 1927 aged 63
Also wife Ada died 9 November 1941 aged 76