Langley Primitive Methodist Chapel

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Langley Primitive Methodist Chapel' page

By Keith Guyler, 1988

Essex

By Lauren Haines

Before the building of this chapel, a house was obtained and regular religious services were established with a membership of 41 people, 6 of whom were local preachers. In September 1860 a piece of land was applied for in which to build a chapel upon. In 1862 the first foundation stone was laid and the chapel was built in a Norman style with red, white and blue bricks. By May 24th 1862 the chapel was opened and had 120 seats. In 1871 the chapel was enlarged but membership fell after that due to the effects of the great farm-workers lock in the 1870’s and so poor people migrated for work. The chapel closed in 2004 and in 2012 was reported as being up for sale.

Sources;

http://www.recordinguttlesfordhistory.org.uk/ULHRdone/primitivemethodistsinvillages.html

http://saffronwaldenhistoricalsociety.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/langley-methodist-church.pdf

This page was added by Lauren Haines on 07/05/2014.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.