Hope's Gate (Hopesgate) Primitive Methodist chapel

By Christopher Hill

The Primitive Methodist magazine of August 1855 contains an account by James Arnold of the opening of Hope's Gate (Hopesgate) Primitive Methodist chapel, then in the Minsterley Branch of Shrewsbury Circuit. 

"Dear Editor,— On Sunday, April 29, 1855, a very neat little chapel was opened for Divine service, in this locality ; in the morning and evening by the Rev. T. Jones, Independent minister, Pontesbury, and in the afternoon by Thomas Brocas, Esq., Copthorn-house, Shrewsbury. The sermons were highly satisfactory, and the collections liberal.

The chapel is built of stone, 27ft. by 21ft. and 10ft. high from the floor to the wall plate. It has two windows in each side and two in the east end , has a boarded floor, is well ventilated, and will comfortably accommodate 120 persons.

The entire cost, when completed, will be about £120., towards which £35. have been already realized, and when other subscriptions are forwarded, the chapel will be in comfortable circumstances. We tender our thanks to Captain Barrot, of whom we purchased the land, and who returned the money, except 5s., which he gave to the general missionary fund. We are also under obligation to Miss Barrot for collecting £5 and to another friend for up wards of £6.; and to all who have interested themselves in collecting and contributing towards the erection, we tender thanks. " Hitherto the Lord hath helped us." and to him we would ascribe the glory.

James Arnold."

What else do we know about this chapel?  Where was it? What happened to it?


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine August 1855 496-497

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 09/03/2017.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.