Englesea Brook Primitive Methodist Chapel, Cheshire
The Chapel in 1907
In 1907 W J Harper, in Mow Cop and its Slopes, described Englesea Brook as ‘a quiet old world spot, about three or four miles from the busy town of Crewe, and very little different to what it has been for a hundred years or more. Away from the bustling noise and hurry-scurry of the town it goes on its quiet way, heedless of the progress and developments that have been made not far from its secluded position.’
‘Before Crewe was thought of, the early Methodist preacher plodded along its lonely lanes to preach in the little chapel, pushed into a corner, behind stables and yards, which still serves the little community as the only place of worship in the quiet village.’
‘The Chapel is exceptionally neat and well furnished inside… Latterly the trustees have bought a piece of land, opposite the Cemetery and next to the Chapel, on which they hope some day to erect Memorial Schools to Hugh Bourne, who still has descendants in the locality’.
Hugh Bourne Memorial School, 1914
It took several years to raise the funds, but the School Room was finally opened in 1914. Many local people remember going to Sunday School here. George Burgess and Samuel Astbury were two of the Sunday School Superintendents. The highlight of the year was the Sunday School Anniversary, when a stage was erected at the front of the chapel.