Twyford Primitive Methodist chapel
In the Primitive Methodist magazine, George Fowler tells us about the opening of Twyford Primitive Methodist chapel.
“The Lord graciously visited our society at Twyford, about the beginning of last February, and several souls were saved, so that the house of Brother John Merrifield, wherein the Primitive Methodists have conducted Divine service for the last thirty-three years, was too small to hold the congregation. Brother John Merrifield kindly gave a piece of his garden on which to erect a chapel, which is 30 feet long by 16 feet wide, capable of seating 100 persons.
It is built of brick and stone, has six windows, and is properly ventilated ; the floor is boarded. Most of the stone was given by a farmer in the neighbourhood ; the pulpit was presented by the Baptist Society at Ewern; a portion of the timber was given. Most of the materials were conveyed gratuitously, and at least one-half of the labour was free. We raised, by subscriptions and donations, £18 Is. Id.
The opening services were held October 4th, 1860, when a sermon was preached by the Rev. G. Warner, after which about 360 persons took tea in a booth erected for the occasion. In the evening a public meeting was held, when ad dresses were delivered by Messrs. S. Timmins, G. Fowler, J. Davidge, G. Warner, and T. Powell. On Sunday, October 7th, two sermons were preached by Mr. S. Timmins. T
he proceeds of the services amounted to £9 9s. 4ld. ; the debt remaining is about £5. Promises have been made for the amount required to liquidate the whole debt, and the money to be paid within a month. Much credit is due to the friends who have acted so praiseworthily in this matter. To God be all the glory. George Fowler“
There are at least nine places called Twyford, but as this one was in the Motcombe circuit, I’m locating it in Dorset.
Primitive Methodist magazine January 1861 page 47