Langham Primitive Chapel, Rutland

By Raymond E.O.Ella

There was a Primitive Methodist (formerly Wesleyan) chapel in Bridge Street opposite the yard of the Noel Arms. In 1908 the Trustees of the chapel asked for sanction "to sell the chapel and cottage at Langham. Proceeds to be devoted to the payment of existing debts of £75." The reasons given for the request were:

  • We find it utterly impossible to gather and maintain a society
  • The village is small, there being not more than 500 people residing in the neighbourhood
  • The village is well supplied by Baptist and Episcopalian churches
  • It is not more than two miles from Oakham - the head of the station

The chapel became Mr. Stacey’s shop, now demolished.

Source: Langham Village History Group

http://www.langhaminrutland.org.uk/chapels.htm

Leicester Record Office holds the following information about this chapel:

Ref. N/W/219/284-287: Langham PM Church/Chapel, Records c.1891-1910. 

This page was added by Geoff Dickinson on 08/03/2018.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.