Langham Primitive Chapel, Rutland

There was a Primitive Methodist (formerly Wesleyan) chapel in Bridge Street opposite the yard of the Noel Arms. In 1908 the Trustees of the chapel asked for sanction “to sell the chapel and cottage at Langham. Proceeds to be devoted to the payment of existing debts of £75.” The reasons given for the request were:

  • We find it utterly impossible to gather and maintain a society
  • The village is small, there being not more than 500 people residing in the neighbourhood
  • The village is well supplied by Baptist and Episcopalian churches
  • It is not more than two miles from Oakham – the head of the station

The chapel became Mr. Stacey’s shop, now demolished.

Source: Langham Village History Group

http://www.langhaminrutland.org.uk/chapels.htm

Leicester Record Office holds the following information about this chapel:

Ref. N/W/219/284-287: Langham PM Church/Chapel, Records c.1891-1910. 

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+Email this to someone