Martin Reeves tells the story of this chapel, with the aid of information from Nigel Melville and Peter Evans. It was the successor to an 1845 chapel at the back of the school in Back Street. You can read about the earlier chapel here.
The site for the new chapel was given in October 1922 by the Earl of Ilchester to Abbotsbury Primitive Methodist Church. Two old cottages that had stood on the site were demolished. The building was constructed from wood and asbestos sheeting on a brick foundation and was designed to accommodate 130/140 people. The total sum for the whole project was £500. The chapel was opened on 11th November 1925 and registered for worship 5 days later.
The photo shows a Remembrance service in 1983 shortly before it’s final closure in 1984. Demolition followed in 1985.
After demolition the property next door (4 West Street DT3 4JT)was extended into the grounds and a garage now stands on the site of the former chapel with some of the initialled foundation stones from the chapel being incorporated into the new building.
Therefore the chapel was in existence for only 7 years as a Primitive and just 60 years in total.
The pictures are from “Abbotsbury The Appreciation Revisited” by Nigel Melville and used with kind permission.