Quarmby, John (1834-1895)
John was born on 12 June 1834 at Thornhill, nr Wakefield, Yorkshire to parents William and Ann. He was baptised on 21 July 1834. William was a tailor.
His parents were Wesleyans; his father a local preacher and mother a class leader. In the late 1840’s John’s father joined the Primitive Methodists, attending with his four sons. John’s mother joined the United Methodists, attending with her four daughters.
John was converted aged 16 and soon became a class leader and then a local preacher.
In 1851 John is working as a shoemaker in Dewsbury, Yorkshire.
John’s obituary records that he was loyal to the constitution of the connexion, and to the people of his choice, and excelled as a visitor among the people. He was honoured by his brethren in being elected to district offices and to positions of trust.
John married Emily Whitticase (1843-1900) in 1864 at Nantwich, Cheshire. John’s obituary records that they had ten children, five of whom survived him.
- John Francis (1865-1932) – a schoolteacher and Wesleyan local preacher
- Thomas William (1867-1933) – a chemist and optician
- James Joseph (1869-1969) – a chemist and druggist Assistant (1911)
- Emily Sarah A (1871-1871)
- David Rufus (1872-1873)
- Alfred Eaton (1874-1878)
- James Whitticase (1876-1918)
- Arthur Henry (1880-1951) – a chemist’s assistant
- Emily (1886-1886)
- Katie Eunice (1888-1964) – a drapers assistant (1911); married James Hulse in 1913; married William T Edwards in 1925
John died in 13 February 1896 at Ketley, Shropshire.
- 1858 Oswestry
- 1860 Cwm
- 1861 Redditch
- 1862 Brierley Hill
- 1863 Nantwich
- 1866 Market Drayton
- 1869 Worcester
- 1870 Stratford
- 1873 Hadnall
- 1876 Shrewsbury
- 1880 Wrockwardinewood
- 1884 Wem
- 1887 Welshpool
- 1890 Bollington
- 1894 Oakengates
Primitive Methodist Magazine 1888 (portrait); 1902/549 (Emily)
PM Minutes 1896/28
The Primitive Methodist 1896/31
W Leary , Directory of Primitive Methodist Ministers and their Circuits , 1990
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers