Muncton: On the work of God in Muncton (Poole Circuit)
From the Primitive Methodist Magazine, 1838
The P. Methodists missioned this place in July 1836, and we preached nearly twelve months with little prospect. In spring 1837, we extended to Gunvill, four miles distant. A meeting was held in great peace. The fortnight after, the students of ——— came with oaths and curses, tore the preacher’s coat, beat in the crown of his hat, and took away his staff, and raised a mob. The next time the mob was still more furious; and the preacher and others narrowly escaped with their lives. There was some among the unconverted who took the preacher’s part, for which the ——— fell on them the next day, and beat them in an unmerciful manner; but on calm reflection, rather than be made a public example, they gave one man ten pounds, and another one pound. We were obliged to leave the place for a time.
We took our stand in the village of Hinton, in the same valley, and preached in the open-air all the summer, with little prospect, but no opposition except from the clergyman’s servant, who soon met with an accident which issued in a lock-jaw, and the clergyman himself has since gone the way of all flesh.
As the winter approached we had no place of shelter, and some rejoiced. But the Lord opened the way. A lovefeast was held, in Nov. 1837, and many came to see what it was, and the Lord reached their hearts; some got converted, and from that time the work has been on the move.
At the December quarter day, a missionary meeting was held, which brought many from distant villages; the Lord attended the word with power, and many cried for mercy; and in the revival many have been converted. But in all this work we have had to wrestle with the powers of unbelief; and on various occasions have had to wrestle with mourners until the hour of midnight.
The work is still going on: the week before the March quarter day, 1838, souls were convinced and converted every night, so doth the word of God prevail.
(Approved by the Quarter Day board.)
Primitive Methodist Magazine, 1838. Page 349.