1834 chapel openings and more

Photo: Illustrative image for the '1834 chapel openings and more' page

Index of 1834 Primitive Methodist Magazine accounts of chapel openings, re-openings and foundation-stone laying

indexed by Margaret Done

There are 28 chapel openings, re-openings and foundation stone layings listed in the 1834 volume. There are no accounts of foundation stone laying but 6 accounts of chapels re-opening.

The chapel in Tunstall opened by Hugh and James Bourne in 1811 had been enlarged 11 years later - and 11 years later still had to be enlarged again. "Sunday night every aisle and avenue was wedged with human beings."

At Hopton in the Shrewsbury circuit, the society used to meet in a weaver's shop then "a respectable local farmer gave us ground and lent us money to erect a chapel".

At Kippax in the Leeds circuit, a barn was purchased and converted into a chapel and cottage.  There was a gallery across one end and it was built with volunteer labour and help from local farmers.

Englesea Brook chapel in the Tunstall circuit was re-opened after the addition of a gallery at one end.

Ramsbottom chapel in the Bolton circuit had two opening days - it rained on the first one so they did it all over again.

Downloads

1834 chapel openings
1834 chapel openings (434k)
Index of 1834 Primitive Methodist Magazine accounts of chapel openings, re-openings and foundation-stone laying

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 17/08/2017.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.