Upperby PM Chapel, Cumbria

Comments about this page

  • Two societies came together when Upperby Chapel was opened. The older had been meeting at Greystone House in Blackwell Road since at least 1884. Four years later it had seating for fifty and attendances of forty. It was the home of a membe.  In 1898 it had seating for fifty. There were 12 members and services were attended by fifteen persons. The other society was based in a rented room in Upperby itself. It opened in 1897 when it had seating for seventy five, attendances of sixty and six members.

     The chapel was built of brick and opened in 1902. It was 39 feet by 23 feet and in 1941 it had 120 sittings in pews. This chapel received loan of £50 from the District Sites and Loans Committee in 1901. A school, 53 feet b y 27 feet was added in 1927 at a cost of £1391. It continues in use as a place of Methodist worship.

    Sources

    Cumbria Archives Service Carlisle DFCM1/1/26 Carlisle PM circuit chapel reports, 1868-1889

    Cumbria Archives Service Carlisle DFCM1/1/114 Carlisle PM circuit chapel reports. 1890-1899

    Cumbria Archives Service Carlisle DFCM1/1/27 Carlisle PM circuit chapel reports, 1900-1910

    Cumbria Archives Service Carlisle DFCM1/8/3  Notes relating to the 1940 accommodation returns

    Carlisle Library, 1A287, Methodist property statistics 1940, 1980, 1991

    John Rylands Library, Manchester, Methodist District Records, Carlisle & Whitehaven PM District, Chapel Committee minutes, 1927 and District Sites and Loans Committee accounts, 1908-1920)

    Huggon, John, Carlisle Methodism, Part 3, Cumbria Wesley Historical Society, 75, Spring 2015

     

     

    By GW Oxley (29/04/2016)
  • The plans for this chapel were drawn by Isaac Langrigg of Lazonby. They show a chapel 25’9” by 37” within a perimeter wall which is now absent from the Upperby Road and Nursery Road sides. The interior had aisles at each side with twelve cental pews. The pulpit was at the west end with two pews on each side facing the centre. There was a yard behind with toilets against the rear wall.

    By GW Oxley (12/04/2014)
  • Built 1901, in use as a place of worship 2013

    By GW Oxley (11/12/2013)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+Email this to someone