Whitehaven Howgill Street, PM Chapel, Cumberland

Grid ref NX973178

The Chapel was built in 1850 at a cost of £437.17½. There were 488 lettable and 122 free sittings. By 1871 a further £283.0.10½  had been spent on extensions and improvements. The chapel was  closed in 1940 when the congregation moved to Lowther Street. The site is now vacant land used in association with adjacent dwellings.


Cumbria Archive Service, Whitehaven DCM2/384

JH Tonkin, Lowther Street Methodist Church, Whitehaven, Cumbria, Centenary Brochure, 1877 – 1977

Site visit 24.05.2016

Whitehaven, Howgill Street PM Chape., The chapel stood on the land infront of the buildings. 24.5.2016
G W Oxley
Ground plan of Whitehaven, Howgill Street PM Chapel from 0S 1 to 500 Cumberland LXVII 2 23 circa 1860 ii
G W Oxley

Comments about this page

  • John Fowler tells us about the opening of Whitehaven Primitive Methodist chapel in the Primitive Methodist magazine (December 1859  page 739-740). Soon after Whitehaven was missioned 36 years previously they had rented a chapel at Mount Pleasant for a while but left it. The drive for a new chapel was triggered when Mrs Bennett left £40 for it in her will.

    Mr Lumb, agent to Earl of Lonsdale, arranged for the site and a new chapel was built, measuring 51′ x 39′ and 21′ to ceiling. It had a good vestry and a yard behind and cost £427 of which £247 was raised by the opening. A new chapel was essential as the society had increased by 178-180 members in 15 months.

    Speakers at the opening events from August 21st 1859 included Revs William Harland, H Saunders (Independent), A Dodds, J Taylor, J Lacells, J Harper, J Young (Belfast), and  Messrs Bainbridge, Scott, Benson, Temple and WE Parker (Manchester).  Mr Mickel chaired a tea meeting for 300.

    By Christopher Hill (21/11/2017)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+Email this to someone